Getting online with the PS4 or Xbox is a very exciting time. However, the long wait time can cause the enthusiasm to fade quickly. To avoid this, we created a complete and practical guide to discover how to improve the connection between the PS4 and the Xbox.
Practical tips to improve the connectivity and security of the PS4 or Xbox
First of all, you should start by optimizing your local connection. Many of the initial problems can be solved by talking to your provider. Beyond that, there are some settings on the console and on the ports to improve the PS4 and Xbox.
Now, another key point is security. If you are about to go online, creating a PS4 or Xbox master account is vital. This account has all the authority to configure the general settings of your console, including means of payment. So make sure only you know the access code to this account to prevent others from making changes.
However, there is no way around the fact that the file size of the games is very large. These can range from 20GB to 50GB for the largest games. Therefore, to improve the connectivity of your console you can follow these tips:
1. Get wired whenever possible
The Ethernet cable uses a direct connection to the router. With this, you guarantee that any connection problem that arises from the distance between your console and the router does not affect the stability of the Internet. If you don’t have one handy, moving the console closer to the router might help. This can solve any interference problem that is causing a slow discharge.
2. Put the console in sleep mode
In the case of the PS4, it’s called sleep mode. In the case of the Xbox One, it’s called instant-mode. Both modes can be configured to allow downloads to continue while in these states.
On the PS4:
- Go to “Settings” in the menu of your PS4.
- Now go to the “Power Saving” settings.
- Enters “Set available functions in standby mode”.
- Make sure the “Download files” box is checked.
- You can now hold down the PlayStation button or go to “Power Options” and put the PS4 into sleep mode while downloading games or patches.
- Go to “Settings, all settings”.
- Select the power and startup options.
- Select the “Instant Power On” option.
- Make sure the “Automatically download updates and purchases” box is checked and the “When Xbox is off, turn off storage” box is unchecked.
- Press and hold the home button on your game controller and then select “Turn off console” to put it in instant-on mode. Perform this step after a game has started to download.
In both cases, the downloads should complete a bit faster.
3. Change your DNS servers
This can lead to higher download speeds. Although the results will be different for each person depending on their location, hardware, quality of your Internet connection, etc.
Steps to change DNS on PS4:
- Go to “Settings”, then “Network.”
- Go to “Set up an Internet connection.”
- Select LAN or Wi-Fi depending on what you are using.
- Select “Custom.”
- Click the IP Address and DHCP settings as they are, without changing them.
- Now change the DNS to manual mode.
- Enter your primary and secondary DNS servers. You can use Google DNS, which is the most common service with the most servers in the world.
- Google DNS: Primary 184.108.40.206 / Secondary 220.127.116.11.
- OpenDNS: Primary 18.104.22.168 / Secondary 22.214.171.124.
- CloudFlare DNS: Primary 126.96.36.199 / Secondary 188.8.131.52.
- Run the rest of the settings as is without changing them.
- Retest your upload and download speeds in “Settings”. Enter “Network” or “Red” and then “Test Internet connection.”
Steps to change DNS on Xbox:
- Press the Xbox button in the middle of your controller to open the guide.
- Go to “System” and then to “Settings.”
- Go to “Network”, then to “Network Settings” and finally to “Advanced Settings”.
- Select “DNS Settings” and then “Manual.”
- Enter your primary and secondary DNS settings as indicated for the PS4.
- Once logged in, press the B button to exit and test the connection.
Follow these steps to improve the connection in Fortnite, Call of Duty, FIFA, or any of your favorites. If you don’t have one handy, moving the console closer to the router might help. This can solve any interference problem that is causing a slow discharge. In this sense, good connectivity will always be essential to improve your gaming experience. So the time and speed of your connection will now be on your side.